Every member of GESA is expected to comply with a Code of Conduct determined by the GESA Board of Directors.
A member should comply with the following standards of conduct.
- The member should act honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the society as a whole.
- The member has a duty to use care and diligence in fulfilling the functions of office and exercising the powers attached to that office.
- The member should use the powers of office for a proper purpose, in the best interests of the society as a whole.
- The member should recognise that the primary responsibility is to the society as a whole but may, where appropriate, have regard for the interest of other stakeholders of the society.
- The member should not make improper use of information acquired as a director.
- The member should not take improper advantage of the position of director.
- The member should properly manage any conflict with the interests of the society.
- The member has an obligation to be independent in judgement and actions and to take all reasonable steps to be satisfied as to the soundness of all decisions taken by the board of directors.
- Confidential information received by the member in the course of the exercise of directorial duties remains the property of the society from which it was obtained and it is improper to disclose it, or allow it to be disclosed, unless that disclosure has been authorised by that society, or the person from whom the information is provided, or is required by law.
- The member should not engage in conduct likely to bring discredit upon the society.
- The member has an obligation at all times to comply with the spirit, as well as the letter, of the law and with the principles of this Code.